Saturday, December 10

Confessions of an Infojunkie

The digital video recorder (DVR) that I'm renting from the cable company gives me the ability to see picture in picture (PiP) even though my TV isn't made for that. For an infojunkie that's like doing a speedball. With PiP I can watch the McLaughlin Group while I keep track of a football game, without sound. For those who can chew and walk at the same time this no major feat. The score is almost always onscreen and most jockentators say nothing worth listening to so this is the best of two worlds. Tony Blankly's smug stupidity provides a good target for venting at. Imaginary studies have consistently shown that a good tongue lashing administered to some opinionated miscreant on TV is good for your soul.
As a Jets' fan in Arizona I don't have much opportunity to watch their games on TV, since I'm not willing or able to pay for the NFL package on Sattelite; as it turns out, it's a good thing I didn't give in to the temptation to get Sirius radio to catch the games that way. I did buy the Real Network online access to streaming audio of all the NFL games. This allows for megadosage of inforushes.
Added to the aforementioned scenario of listening to topical commentary while tracking the progress of an NFL game on the small P of the PiP, a laptop with broadband access to the internet is like the steamed milk, topped with chocolate, that transforms a double espresso into a perfect cappuccino.

As the morning ends and the Sunday talking heads go back into their boxes, the audio is switched to the NFL stream of the Jets' game, which I had been tracking (the Jets lost another offensive lineman and another game) through the handy Live Gamestats that NFL.com provides online. The muted TV now has two games - thanks to PiP - while the audio tracks have the Jets game and Willlie Nelson's Countryman CD, and the laptop gives me instant access to all the scores and other news I might want.
An Infojunkie's paradise!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home